The Blood Mad Mortals!
With the Blades of Khorne book released, I wanted to make a unique mortal khorne list that would be able to do quite well on the tabletop without using daemons(I’m looking at you bloodthirsters!). This army is focused around the blood mad warband battalion in combination with The Goretide. This makes a fun but strong mortal army that has good board precence, makes good use of the strong judgements, can move up the board pretty quickly and just really feels like a true khorne warband. Rest of the explanation will be added soon.
- Ability – Tireless Conquerors: You may re-roll wound rolls of 1 for attacks made by melee weapons by friendly Goretide Moral units wholly within 12″ of an objective marker. Handy bonus, especially in battleplans with a lot of objectives. Bloodwarriors suffer from having only a 4+ t wound, so rerolling those 1’s can come in quite handy as they will do most of your objective holding.
Blood Tithe – Rewards
- Bloody Exemplar: 1 Point. Gain a command point. Pretty straight forward, but you probably want to use the other options.
- Spelleater Curse: 2 Points. Choose this reward immediately after a WIZARD has cast a spell anywhere on the battlefield; it is automatically unbound. You may not choose this reward after having attempted to unbind the spell. Made for that one moment where your opponent just rolls super hot.
- Murderlust: 3 Points. Select a Khorne unit from your army; that unit can move as if it were the movement phase. If it is within 12″ of an enemy model, it can either move as if it were the movement phase or charge as if it were the charge phase. This ability is great, and key to learn using if you play BoK. You can avoid getting punished by a double turn by using his ability to position your blood warriors in the right place when you were set up for your turn.
- Apocalyptic Frenzy: 4 Points. Select a Khorne unit from your army that is within 3″ of an enemy model; that unit can immediately pile in and attack as if it were the combat phase. another great ability, and actually only 3 bloodithe because you probably will kill that unit. Use this to finish of those units you are in combat with so your unit is free without having to retreat.
- Brass Skull Meteor: 5 Points. Pick a single unit anywhere on the battlefield; that unit immediately suffers D3 mortal wounds. In addition, roll a dice for each unit within 8″ of the unit you picked; on a roll of 3 or more, the unit being rolled for suffers a mortal wound. If the roll is a 6, the unit takes D3 mortal wounds instead. Usefull ability if you want to finish of that unit you cannot see anymore.
Bood Tithe – Summoning
The ones I am interested in using are the 5 or 10 flesh hounds and of course the blood thirster.
One key thing to remember is, as tempting as it is, don’t try and save the points for the bloodthirster. You gotta use those points, some key movement or attack can win you the game, summoning a bloodthirster will not guarantee that sadly. Always look out for those moments.
Artefacts, Command Traits & Abilities
Because we take The Goretide, we automaticly have to take this artifact. Thronebreaker’s Torc lets us ignore modifiers when making save rolls for attacks that target this model. I put this on my bloodsecrator as he will run up the board with the rest of the army, and as an important character that is in the frontline, I want him to stay alive as long as possible.
Banner of Wrath
As I am taking a battalion, I can choose a second relic. The banner of Wrath makes my bloodsecrator a scary damage dealer as well because it allows him to, on a 4+, deal D3 mortal wounds on enemy units within 8″. Since he is in the middle of the battle giving everyone bonus attacks, he might as well get some(suprising amount) mortal wounds in while being there!
Hew The Foe
Basic ability that gives your general an extra damage on his melee weapons. the only character that I really use in combat is the Aspiring Deathbringer so I gave it to him. He has a 3″ range on his hammer so he can stand behind your bloodwarriors and hit with his damage 2 hammer.
Basicly for one command point you can make a unit of blood warriors or blod reivers run 6″and they can run and charge. Great ability since we have 3 units of blood warriors. You got to be carefull when and where you use it though, because when you see that tempting charge, you might just run out of all your buffing auras and suddenly you don’t hit that hard anymore. Since we get an extra attack on the charge with our battalion, this ability makes sure we can get as many charges off as we can.
Slaughterpriests are an auto include in any Khorne force. They can do a lot of things for your army and can cast 2 prayers (one from their warscroll and one from the other ones in the battletome) and cast a judgement of Khorne! I chose the 2 blood blessings Killing Frenzy and Blood Sacrifice. Bronzed flesh is also a very good one but I put it on my warshrine, wich I’ll cover later.
Killing frenzy: On a 4+ rerollable near the Altar, you give a unit wholy within 16″ a +1 to hit. Speak for itself. A great buff for nearly every unit in your army.
Blood Sacrafice: On a 4+ rerollable near the Altar, you deal D3 mortals to a friendly unit wholly within 8″, and you gain 1 Bloodtithe point. This is a situational one but just cast it on himself or onto some of those cheap reivers and you can rack up those blood tithe pretty easily.
Blood Boil: this is a warscroll one, on a 4+ rerollable near the Altar, you deal D6 mortal wounds to a unit within 16″. You can do this with both your priests in one turn, yikes.
Blood bind: another warscroll prayer, on a 4+ rerollable near the Altar, an enemy unit within 16″ and not within 3″ of any friendly models, moves X” to the closest friendly model, where X is the number you rolled on your prayer roll. This is also a situational one but can be handy to make that charge easier or to pull units off objectives and stuff.
Judgements wil be covered later.
Another auto-take in khorne lists. this guy gives friendly units wholy within 16″ +1 attack! on top of that, wizards within 16″ have to reroll succesfull casting rolls. And the artifact that we gave him makes him deal mortal wounds, khorne loves it.
This dude is great in a Goretide list. He can give a mortal unit +3″ on your run AND charge. Since you can run and charge, that is just 6″ of free movement right there, you are welcome. On top of that, he gives that unit a reroll to wound as well, yes please!
Must take if you bring the battalion the bloody mad battalion. this guy has a great command ability that gives units wholy within 12″ an extra attack! He will run up the board with your blood secrator and together give out attacks like it’s X-mas. His hammer is also usefull in combat since you can attack from behind your other units.
This is the big core of your army. You have 3 units of 10. These guys with the right buffs can be pretty strong and very hard to shift. With 2 wounds a piece, a 4+ save (that can get to a 3+ with bronzed flesh) and a 6++ when in range of the warshrine, they are really reselient. Another great feature is that they will do some good damage for sure. They do mortal wounds when they roll 6s on their save thanks to their Gorefists, and with their “No Respite” rule they can pile in and attack before they die. These guys give you some serious board control while being able to hold objetives like a champ. With the right buffs they can actually do some decent damage, but that’s not where you should rely on if you need damage.
Damn, these guys are strong. You have a unit of 10, throw them at a unit. Congrats, you blended that unit. You do mortal wounds on unmodified 6s, but if you attack a unit of 5 or more models, you can reroll all hit rolls. Let’s get fishing for those sixes! Combine that with the reroll all wounds from the Bloodstoker, extra attacks from bloodsecrator and/or Aspiring Deathbringer and you have yourself a blender.
A little unit of 10, because battalion. Use these guys for your blood prayers or to screen out some stuff. They can do suprising damage if you don’t expect it, but don’t count on them. Blood tithe point as well!
A big buff and pray beast. I gave it the bronzed flesh prayer. He can do a khorne prayer, his own prayer and and summon a judgement! Also, units within 9″ get a 6++save, awesome! You want this thing in the front line right between your units, giving them an extra safe, buffing them and summoning judgements right in the enemies face. Also a lovely center piece model.
Blood Mad Battalion
The battalion consists of your Aspiring Deathbringer, 3 units of Blood Warriors, a unit of Blood Reivers and a unit of Skullreapers. It gives all these units +1 attack when they charged, wich is just great.